New Year’s Day fire displaces two families and a bearded dragon

Racine Fire Department units responded New Year’s Day to a fire at 1733 Grange Ave. (lower) for a report of a structure fire. The call came just before noon. Heavy fire was showing from ground floor windows on two sides of the two-family home.

An elderly woman and her adult son escaped from the first floor, while a young couple with a 2-year-old son managed to escape from the upper level.

No injuries to the occupants or firefighters were reported.

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters from Engine 5 located a bearded dragon named Rex in his cage. The reptile survived the flames and smoke; he was placed in a box and returned to his owners.

Red Cross responded to the fire and is assisting the victims who have been displaced by the fire.

About Rex Davenport 361 Articles
Rex Davenport is a reporter, editor and editorial project manager with more than 40 years of experience in newspaper, business magazines and other content channels.