More and more people are disconnecting with “life” and connecting via apps, social media, and technology. Sadly, we are losing our foothold in the world by missing out on great relationships that could be developed by actually being “Out in the Real World.”
Let’s face it, it’s easy to do. It’s easy to swipe left and right and spend 0.2 seconds looking at someone’s profile. But are we making such snap decisions now that we may be missing out on some wonderful people? What do you think?
It’s very easy to get wrapped up in deciding if that person meets your needs or wants just by looking at them-but truly, really, have we become too jaded that a wonderful person or potential soulmate is right there, but may not have the outer layer we are seeking? What a sad state of affairs we are coming to. I know, first impressions are paramount….but sad that we may be passing up a great person.
Here are some good tips to keep in mind when you are looking at endless profiles on a dating app:
- Don’t go through more than 5 people at a time. This will help you focus by reading their profiles in-depth, which will be more telling and appealing to you.
- If you are only looking for a hookup, then don’t listen to a word I’m saying.
- If you are on a dating site, make sure your profile stands out. Take some time to be funny, make note of accomplishments or travels you have recently been on…for example-“been to Bali and back” has a great ring to it.
- Read the profile through and through. Many people have no idea that not being the most beautiful flower in the pot doesn’t disqualify you. Work on your profile and ask your friends to review it and see if they have some value to add that you may have overlooked.
- Take your time. There is no contest to clean our your “match” box and get rid of potentials. Be thorough.
Lori Mendelsohn is a professional matchmaker. With a knack for introducing people who wind up saying, “I do,” she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Her website is www.smartfunnysingle.com