Fire rips through two-family home following electrical fire

Fire
File PHoto
Check out what’s new and find things to do!

RACINE, WI – An electrical fire caused $20,000 damage at 6:37 p.m. Thursday at a two-family residence at 1608 Flett Avenue.

No one was injured, but the blaze left two families homeless.

The fire started in a basement bedroom and was caused by multiple extension cords being used to supply power, according to a press release by the Racine Fire Department.

A resident inside the home called 911 after they saw smoke coming from a basement bedroom. Officials with the Racine Police Department, Racine Fire Department, We Energies and Red Cross responded to the scene. Four adults, six children, and four pets evacuated the home without incident.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to a basement bedroom, but the damage rendered the home uninhabitable. However, officials with the Red Cross provided shelter to the families.

“Please do not connect multiple extension cords together,” Sorce said. “The home was found with a single working smoke alarm which did not alert the occupant.”


Looking for a job? Check out Help Wanted, our podcast.

Shop Local!

Food and drink

About Denise Lockwood 908 Articles
Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.