Fire reported at Covenant at Murray Mansion

fire at Covenant at Murray Mansion

The Racine Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at the Covenant at Murray Mansion, 2219 Washington Ave., at about 1 p.m. Tuesday.

No one was injured. The fire was contained to the outside of the building, said Kathy Meyer, owner of the Covenant.

“The church put on solar panels about 11 years ago on the roof,” she said. “Those solar panels were on the outside of the building. And there were two of those panels that had caught fire.”

Firefighters did have to cut a hole in the roof, however, to make sure that there wasn’t a fire on the inside of the building, Meyer said.

Caledonia resident Heidi Fannin said she called 911 when she saw smoke and flames coming from the building.

“I was talking to my friend when we turned the corner and saw the smoke and flames,” Fannin said. “No one was around and it seemed as if it just happened.”

While talking to dispatchers, she checked the doors to see if anyone was inside the building.

“I checked the doors in the back, but they were locked,” she said. “There weren’t any cars in the lot, but there were some parked on the street.”

Fannin was on her way to check the front doors, but by the time she got to the front of the building rescue squads had arrived at the scene.

“I bet it took 4-5 minutes,” she said. “They were quick. During the fire, you could see smoke and flames and sparks coming from the building.”

Eye on Business

Denise Lockwood
About Denise Lockwood 2768 Articles
Denise Lockwood has an extensive background in traditional and non-traditional media. She has written for Patch.com, the Milwaukee Business Journal, Milwaukee Magazine and the Kenosha News.